Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Angkor Wat

We got up early to see the sunrise at Angkor Wat.  It was built in the early 12th century.  Angkor Wat means "temple that is a city."  Angkor Wat is on the Smithsonian.com "28 places to see before you die" list.  These pictures do not do it justice.  We realized there would be no sunrise photos so we had a head start on the other tourists.  There were so many stories in the bas-reliefs.  A person would truly need more than a morning to really see this temple.  To read more about it or see more "professional" photos of what we saw I would encourage you to "google" Angkor Wat  (Yes, I am taking the easy way out.)













This represents the Churning of the Ocean of Milk.  The tug-of-war between good and evil. 
This is also depicted in the post in March of Angkor Thom and Bayon.







.

1 comment:

Amber said...

I hope you dont mind but I am reading about your adventures and reading about your life in alaska (love the pics of the wildlife!)

I have a book by James Rollins that centers around Angkor and so its really neat to see all the details that were brought up that had to do with the story!

You are so planning my next vacation! I cannot get over all the awesome things you were able to see!